Sunday 24 May 2015

My Secret for Healthy Hair.

Hey guys, Lavz here! Today, I'm going to tell you all about my hair and how I keep it looking great and healthy. I know that sounds vain, but I get compliments and questions about my hair on a daily. My friend Aya is especially obsessed with my hair. So much so, that she thinks she's jinxed my healthy hair. ;) 

Disclaimer: I'm not a hair expert and this is all that works best for me :)

I’m going to write about the basic products I use, such as the shampoo and conditioner, as well as some treatments. I do not like to use too many products on my hair other than the usual leave in conditioners, heat protectants and dry shampoos. 

Let's start with my hair texture, length and cut. 
I have really thick hair and I've got loads of them. If you've read my other blog posts, you'll know that I'm blessed with thick and dark hair. My hair is  naturally straight for the most part but have a slight wave to them. It's not poker straight by any means though. It falls 3-4 inches above the small of my back and is dark chocolate brown in colour. I've never dyed/coloured my hair before I usually get them cut in layers with fringes/bangs.

This was the last hair cut I got and it was back in September. I have gotten my hair trimmed just once since then. I know you're all probably like umm?? Just once? People say that you should trim your hair every 2-3 weeks and I find that for me, that is a waste of time, energy and money because I simply don't need to do that. I get a haircut every 6-8 months and get it trimmed once or twice in the middle. I will be getting my hair cut this week or the next so you can stay tuned for that :D



Before I start showing my products, I just want to say that I don't have the simplest of routines and not the most complicated either. I find that these products work extremely well for me and I've been following this routine for the last year and half. 


(Lee Stafford Blinding Brunette Shampoo, SebaMed 
Anti HairLoss Shampoo, Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo)


Lee Stafford is my favourite hair care brand. They make absolutely wonderful hair products and cater to a wide range of hair textures and colours. I usually find them at Boots or Spinneys here in Abu Dhabi. They are a little bit on the pricy side for just hair care but they work amazingly for me and I don't mind splurging on hair care if it's Lee Stafford :D The Blinding Brunette Shampoo (250 ml) is made with a Pro-Brunette system for natural or coloured Brunette hair. It also gently tops up your mahogany and mocha tones, enhancing the espresso, or so it claims. I have really dark hair but I do see a difference in terms of the different tones in my hair when I use this. It has walnut, henna and moringa seed extract and it smells wonderful too. I wash my hair every alternate day and I use this shampoo every time I wash my hair. This retails for AED 47 and lasts me almost a month.

Next up I use the SebaMed Anti HairLoss shampoo(400 ml) that is made for all hair types. It's soap and alkali-free and is a german based medicated brand readily available in all supermarkets here. Everything I've tried from this brand is wonderful and they have a solution for all problematic issues like dandruff, hair loss, acne, dry skin and damaged hair. I use this shampoo twice a week and it has really helped put a stop to my hair fall. I never really had trouble with my hair falling but for the past few months, due to extreme levels of exam stress, my hair has been falling like nobody's business. It has a light gel type consistency, a fresh scent and  does not weigh my hair down at all. This retails for AED 35 and lasts me almost three months. 

Lastly, I use Selsun Blue(118 ml) just once a week and when I do, it's as a deep cleansing shampoo to rid my scalp of any dandruff and follow up with the other two shampoos and this is usually on a weekend when I have the privilege to take my time in the shower. This thing smells AWFUL. Even the word awful is and understatement. It almost smells worse than cat, dog and bird poo+vomit combined. I'm not even exaggerating right now. So then why do you use it you may ask, it's cause I have never used a cleansing shampoo that works as well as this, and for that I can suck it up and take the awful smell of it that lingers if you don't follow up with 100 products. I can't remember how much it costs on the top of my head but it's around the 10-12 Dirham mark and lasts me around 1 and 1/2 months.

(Lee stafford hair treatment for hair that never grows, 
Lee Stafford Conditioner for Poker Straight Hair)

When I said Lee Stafford is my favourite hair care brand, I wasn't joking. I mean, LOOK AT THAT PACKAGING. I'm not a big pink girl in my outfits but I sure do love me some pink elsewhere. The Poker Straight Conditioner(250 ml) has a built in heat protectant and it smells like a straight up hair spa. It's recommended that you use it with the matching shampoo but I like the brunette shampoo better because it defines the different tones in my hair rather than just a plain shampoo. However, the matching shampoo to this conditioner is just as wonderful. I use this every time I shampoo my hair and it retails for AED 47 if I'm not wrong(what a terrible blogger). It lasts me for almost one full month.

I use the hair treatment 3 or sometimes 4 times a week. That only happens if I wash my hair two days in a row because the humid and hot weather of this desert makes you do that. It's a 250 ml tub and it retails for AED 61. I repurchase this as frequently as the shampoo and conditioner. I take two egg sized scoops for my long and thick hair and apply this from root to tip. It does not weigh my hair down in any way, shape or form. Instead, it adds volume and makes my hair more manageable. 

(Dove Oil Replacement)

I can never thank Huda from Huda Beauty for introducing me to this product enough. IT IS A LIFE SAVER. I'm one who whips up a whole bunch of home made masks and apply's hair oil two times a week 30 minutes before I shower. This product takes that to a whole new level. I can get away with not using hair oil for a month if I just use this once a day. It doesn't matter if I applied a hair oil that particular day or not, when I get out of the shower and my hair dries up, I apply two coin sized amounts  of this to my hair from root to tip. It's essentially a leave in conditioner but works a million times better. You can apply this any time, any where and it DOES NOT make your hair look greasy or weigh it down. Unfortunately, from what I've heard, it's only available in the middle east right now. It's a 300 ml tube and it retails for almost 20 Dhs. It's a light gel type consistency and it smells so lovely.

(Pantene oil replacement on the go
and Oil replacement night therapy)

If you can't tell already, I love me some oil replacement. 
I apply three pumps of the Pantene night therapy before I go to sleep. I run it through my hair using my fingers from my ear down and whatever is left on my hands, I just run my fingers through my bangs and brush my hair thoroughly before tying it up in a top knot. It smells so clean and fresh and almost floral. When I open my hair the next morning, they are so silky smooth and shiny but not greasy. It's a 150 ml bottle and again I don't know how much it retails for but it should be around the 15-20 Dirham mark. :(

I only use the oil replacement to go when I poker straight my hair and it doesn't work as well as the rest but I hate using serums and I just apply this to my tips so they don't look too coarse. This is 75 ml bottle  and it retails for AED 19. 


Other products that I use are the Batiste dry shampoo for brunettes, I swear by that dry shampoo and I don't particularly use it to get rid of grease, I use it for added volume and texture when I'm in no mood to tease my hair. I like being able to run my fingers through my hair and teasing my hair obviously stops me from doing that so I use dry shampoo. I get the big ol' can of that and it retails for AED 40 at boots and lasts me ages. 
I also use the Lee Stafford Argan and Moroccan spray when I get out of the shower, it retails for AED 91 being the most expensive hair product that I use and I repurchase that every 1 and 1/2 months. 
I occasionally use the L'Oreal Elnett HairSpray with strong hold.

Now onto some hair styles and pictures. I usually wear my hair straight, I hardly ever curl them.

 
 

This is what my hair usually looks like when I straighten it. I use a Remington S5505

PRO-Ceramic Ultra Hair Straightener and I've used Remington straighteners for as long as I can remember and they never break on me and work well with my thick hair. 


This is my hair in it's complete natural state with no heat used on it whatsoever. This was taken 2-3 months ago so my hair look shorter. I like wearing my hair naturally during summer time cause I like to braid my hair or wear it in a top knot if I'm just going to the mall or the beach. Living in the middle east with it's horrible summer temperatures and high level of humidity, there's really no point in styling your hair because you WILL look like a poof ball if you stay outdoors for too long. haha!









Lastly, here are some hairstyles I like to do if I'm not wearing my hair straight. If I have a formal event coming up, I like to get them curled outwards as shown in the top left picture. This was taken on my sister's wedding and I got a little bit of a tease on the crown of my head that day. 
In the top right picture, I've straightened my hair in wards by each layer. This was also taken during my sister's wedding days and I do that to define each layer in my hair.
In the bottom left picture, I have a halo braid going on which I learnt from Zoe or Zoella. I leave out my bangs and make a halo braid with the rest of my hair. 
In the last picture, I have it curled using the NuMe curling barrel and I've just curled them outwards messily and not as sleekly as the first. 



This is all for my Hair Care Routine. Everyone should look after their hair. You don't necessarily have to use as many or as few products as me(depends on how you see it) but you should do everything that works for you. Have you ever tried on clothes on a bad hair day? Did you think your outfit looks terrible on you? It's most definitely not you or your outfit, hair shape and frame your face and if your hair looks good, you can take over the world. ;) #WiseWordsByLaveezah (jk)

That's all for today, friends.
Until next time, Adios!


L A V Z K H A N B E A U T Y




No comments:

Post a Comment